I have been going through a challenging personal time in the last few months and yet, it has been a reawakening for me as well.
Even though I know the way to reach goals, I too, let the busy-ness of life get in the way.
I too feel overwhelmed at times. I let my work-life balance become out of kilter and I spend too much time making others happy, forsaking my own happiness.
I started writing a book three years ago and every time I’ve wanted to edit it I felt like a fraud. I felt out of integrity with myself. How could I be sharing with others the path to reach their goals, or find happiness or have a better work-life balance if I was not doing it myself. For me to finish this goal I had to make some tough decisions.
It meant big changes.
It meant facing fears.
It meant uncertainty.
It meant being vunerable.
It meant hurting people I cared for.
It meant it was time for my light to shine.
It was scary.
I made some changes towards the end of June last year. Big scary ones. And that was just the start.
I wrote down some goals:
- Be kinder to myself (I wrote this post on my parent blog about it)
- Lose 23 kg’s by the end of 2012 so I can go for a breast reconstruction (Lost 15kg’s so far)
- Let go of negative people in my life and surround myself with those that inspire and uplift me. (Have put up boundaries)
- Take more time to do my arts ‘n crafts (Have been making jewellery again)
- Spend time on my own reflecting (Could still do more of this)
- Spend more time planning for work projects instead of just starting the work (Still a work in progress)
- Blog on my parent blog at least 4 times a week (On track here)
- Blog here at least once a week (Okay, have missed this one)
- Do things that make ME happy like read more, meet new people, help others, spend time doing crafts with my daughter, be more creative, blog lots, dance more, laugh more, sleep more – I’m a night owl and I need to get more sleep – (I’m getting there)
- And finally, edit my book.
On this last one, I feel I needed to accomplish some of my goals before I could authentically honour it. I feel like I’m almost there.
Just today, no fewer than 4 people told me I’m radiating or glowing and it felt so good to see how my goals are working for me and that my inner light is shining.
And as if that wasn’t an affirmation enough, I happened across the Elizabeth Kubler-Ross quote above. Isn’t that an awesome sign to show me I’m on the right path? I thought so.
So what are you doing to let your inner light shine?